The National Library of Medicine (NLM) is committed to providing an environment for library users that is supportive of study, research, and scholarly collaboration. Library users are expected to:
- Understand and comply with NIH and NLM policies for access and security, including wearing an NIH visitor pass at all times.
- Behave in a manner that helps to preserve NLM collections and physical spaces.
- Refrain from consuming food and beverages in the reading room, rotunda, and entry lobby of the building. A cafeteria and canteen are available for use by visiting researchers.
- Handle all NLM materials, including collections, scanners, and other equipment, gently and with care. Writing in, or otherwise damaging library materials, equipment, furniture, or spaces, is strictly prohibited.
- Alert library staff to damaged materials, equipment, furniture, and facilities.
- Refrain from using mobile phones in the reading room and rotunda area.
- Use electronic devices at volumes that cannot be heard by others.
- Request permission before taking photos and follow the NLM Reading Room Policy on Photography Requests.